Tuesday, January 30, 2007

notes from the Iranian Front

"You want me to give you my opinion? Honestly?" asked Hajj Hassan Sbeiti, a 44-year-old merchant, his face breaking into a wry smile. "If you say hello to me, you probably like me. If you say hello to me and ask what I need, you're a friend. If you say hello to me, ask what I need and put money in my hand, then you're going to be my brother." ...

..."It's very bleak and it's very dangerous," said Dakhil, the Saudi writer. "We have a sectarian civil war in Iraq now and this is drawing sectarian lines through the region. This is the most important, the most dangerous ramification of the American war in Iraq."
"With Iran Ascendant, U.S. Is Seen at Fault", By Anthony Shadid, Washington Post Foreign Service, Tuesday, January 30, 2007

No comments: